Surakarta, also know as Roundabouts, is an interesting abstract strategy game from Indonesia. The board has an unusual layout and gives rise to the game's unique method of capture which can only be achieved by a piece that first travels around one of the corner loops!
A colourful game, Surakarta is easy to learn but reasonably deep and is both fascinating and enjoyable for children and adults alike.
The game of Surakarta is named after the large town on the island of Java and in Indonesia it is called Permainan which translates simply as 'The Game'. Surakarta is also played across China and Korea and was first brought to Europe in 1870.
- Interesting abstract strategy game originating in Indonesia
- Eye catching colourful design ensures this board stands out as well as serving as an enjoyable game
- Board is well crafted form Beech wood and includes beech wood playing pieces and a set of rules
- The unusual layout of the board makes this a truly fascinating game for all ages
- Easy to learn but reasonably deep and difficult to master
A beautiful version of Surakarta with a truly eye catching design.
The game is reasonably easy to learn but as with most strategy games, there are complexities that take time to master.
Board - 310 x 310 x 10mm, weight - 409g
Board - 12.2x12.2x0.4 inch, weight - 14oz
Surakarta - Vinyl Playing Surface
- Painted wooden frame with vinyl playing surface
- Storage drawer for playing pieces on underside of the board
- Rules included
- Manufactured in Spain
Surakarta or Roundabouts is an ancient game from the town by the same name on the Indonesian island of Java. This is a nice, aesthetically pleasing Surkarta game consisting of a wooden frame with a vinyl playing surface.
The colours and design are deliberately faded and rustic adding to the charm of the piece.
Surakarta is a fascinating historical strategy game for two players and features an unusual and entertaining playing board.
This game is hand made by a small artisan craftshop in Spain. Each game is very slightly different - the pieces are not always uniform and and the wood has a colour-washed finish that is designed to give it a vintage look. This is not to everyone's taste so please do scrutinise the pictures before ordering.