Welsh Tawlbwrdd - replica Tafl game
Welsh Tawlbrdd - replica medieval leather board with wooden pieces
ETA: 1 working day + transit time
Board 26cm square. Tube 28cm longBoard 10.2 inch square. Tube 11 inch long
Contains small parts. Unsuitable for children under 36 months.
- Welsh version of the Nordic Tafl games that go back at least to the 9th century
- Fascinating strategic game of unequal sides that can require deep thought
- Great fun for kids while also helping them to learn about history and strategy
- Hand-made in Britain by a craftsman specialising in leatherwork
- Real leather roll-up board conveniently stores with the pieces in a cardboard tube
- Made in Britain
- Language of Rules/Instructions: English
- For ages: 6+
- Number of players: 2
- Average game time: 10 minutes
Tawlbwrdd is the Welsh version of the old game of Tafl that goes back at least to the 9th century. A fascinating strategy game of unequal sides, the objective of the defenders is to get the King to the corner of the board unharmed while the attackers must try to capture the King before he achieves his goal.
Our game consists of a replica leather board together with wooden pieces. It is has been hand-made in Britain by a craftshop experienced in making authentic period games. The game comes in a cardboard tube for easy storage and is complete with historically accurate rules using the latest research from Masters Games.
Evidence for Tawlbwrdd comes from rules in a document scribed by Robert ap Ifan in 1587 which is now in the Welsh National Library but the game is likely to have been played throughout the middle ages.
Aside from Tawlbwrdd being an interesting historical game, it is also great fun. The game has wide appeal: it is suitable for museums and schools and makes a great present for anyone interested in Welsh history.