Berkeley Chess Royal Beasts Chess Pieces - Metal
- Imposing metal Chess pieces inspired by the Royal Beast statues
- Unique copper and steel finish
- King height: 6 inches
- Bold and grandiose design with superb levels of detail
- Made in the UK
Made in Britain
A beautiful and imposing Chess set from UK manufacturer, Berkeley Chess. Modeled on 'the Queens Beasts', a series of statues commissioned for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, this truly distinctive set of Chess pieces is grandiose in design and features superb detailing and craftsmanship.
Originally sculpted in 1953, 'the Queen's Beasts' were a set of ten heraldic statues sculpted by renowned sculptor, James Woodford. Inspired by 'the King's Beasts' - statues representing the ancestry of King Henry VIII on display at Hampton Court Palace - the original 'Queen's Beasts' are now homed in the Canadian Museum of History in Quebec. However, a set of replicas has since been made, again by James Woodford, and these now stand in Que Gardens in London.
The beasts provide perfect inspiration and the set is further enhanced by the unique copper and steel finish. The metal pieces are large and weighty, with the King - the Lion of England - standing at a huge 6 inches in height. This is therefore the ideal choice for those looking for a bold, uniquely designed Chess set; one that is fit for both play and for display.
Manufactured in the UK, this grandiose chess set by Berkeley Chess features the following:
- King: Lion of England
- Queen: Unicorn of England
- Bishop: White Lion of Mortimer & Black Bull of Clarence
- Knight: White Horse of Hanover & Yale of Beaufort
- Rook: Griffin of Edward 11 & Falcon of the Plantagents
- Pawn: Greyhound of Richmond & Red Dragon of Wales
King height: 15cm
King height: 6 inches