Circular Carved Oware
- Our top of the range folding Oware Mancala game. Genuine import from Ghana
- Hand-made by a Ghanaian craftsman and provided with Bonduc seeds and rules
- Circular board with beautiful carved relief exterior and interior showing African people and scenes
- Oware is an example of the classic game of Africa played by Grandmasters but still easy to learn
- Suitable for all ages over 5 and for kids develops maths and strategy skills while having fun
Masters Traditional Games has gone to great lengths to obtain genuine Oware boards from West Africa. It is easy to buy Chinese-manufactured boards but why do that when you can have the real thing?
Mancala is the classic game of Africa that could well be the oldest board game in the world. There are hundreds of versions of the game through Asia and Africa but Oware from West Africa and the Caribbean is the best known. It is also the version of Mancala usually played at competition level; however it is simple to learn and is great for children, enhancing both maths and strategy skills.
These circular boards are particularly impressive with an exterior that has been ornately hand-carved in a deep three-dimensional relief scene called 'Benin Chief'. They are made from a hardwood of the Mahogany family and stained black. The inside features more carving and has two storage bowls for captured seeds that are conveniently positioned in front of the players. This game makes a spectacular gift for someone who appreciates genuine ethnic craft.
The Circular Oware board includes real Bonduc seeds and a rules sheet.
52 x 26 x 9cm when closed. 3.1kg.
20.5x10.2x3.5 inch when closed. 6lb, 13oz.
Contains small parts. Unsuitable for children younger than 4 years old.
Note: Products on this page are genuinely hand-made by a craftsman in a third-world country. Minor cosmetic imperfections are the norm - items are often not symetrical, cases sometimes don't fold perfectly, hinges are poor quality etc. If you seek pristine, manufactured items, then this item is not for you. But if you delight in the originality and charm of authentic ethnic craft, you should not be disappointed.