The Royal Game of Ur
The oldest game board ever discovered was found inside the Royal tombs at the ancient Sumerian city of Ur in Mesopotamia. Ur of the Chaldees is mentioned in the Bible and the tombs were built more than 5000 years ago. The name of the game isn't known and so it has become known as 'The Royal Game of Ur'.
No-one knows how the game was played but many games historians have used various pieces of evidence to conjecture rules, most notably Irving Finkel, the inimitable British Museum games specialist who broke new ground by deciphering a cuneiform tablet with rules for the game from a later era. A set of proposed rules is included within the game. But if more ideas are needed, we at Masters Traditional Games take such matters very seriously and have published 3 variations of the simple race game in the rules section of our website.
Royal Game of Ur - Vinyl Playing Surface
- Wooden board with vinyl playing surface
- Rustic aesthetic that adds an authenticity to the product
- Wooden playing pieces
- Storage drawer on the underside of the board for the pieces
- Manufactured in Spain
A nice version of the Royal Game of Ur, the game from the oldest known civilisation, with a rustic aesthetic that adds charm and authenticity to the product.
A wooden board with a storage drawer on the underside and a vinyl playing surface. The pieces are wooden and painted.
This game is hand made by a small artisan craftshop in Spain. Each game is very slightly different - the pieces are not always uniform and and the wood has a colour-washed finish that is designed to give it a vintage look. This is not to everyone's taste so please do scrutinise the pictures before ordering.
41 x 31 x 4.5cm
Replica Royal Game of Ur
- An eye catching stylish version of the game credited as being the oldest board game in the world
- Made from solid Beech wood with a eye catching playing surface this game stands out from the crowd
- Includes Beech wood pieces pyramid dice and rules so you can learn to play this piece of history
- Would serve as a fantastic gift to any board game enthusiast
- For all ages it is easy to learn and sure to entertain
An attractive and stylish version of the Royal Game of Ur. The board is made of solid Beech wood.
The edges of this product are sometimes not finished completely perfectly. It's hand-finished and the manufacturer says this is unavoidable. But if you are seeking a completely immaculate finish, this may not suit you.
It includes solid Beech wood pieces, 3 pyramid dice and a set of rules.
Board - 234 x 91 x 26mm, weight - 228g
Board - 9.2x3.6x1 inch, weight - 8oz